Green Smoothie as a breakfast entree.
Popular Bellingen local and co-owner of Kombu Wholefoods in Bellingen Lowanna Doye, shares her family’s recipe for a healthy start to the day. Their green smoothie is delicious and full of goodness. It even passed the ‘Rod Keers’ yum test’.
Now add to the above, your signature flavour:
- You can of course experiment with tweaking the quantities/ratio of the ingredients in the base. For example in our family, because we are used to the taste of kale, we have more like 2-3 leaves per person. This ratio above is too sweet for my taste now, I prefer increasing the bitter with more kale, but if you or your children have never had greens before, it is possibly better to start with 1 kale leaf per person.
- The frozen banana creates a more ice-creamy texture, and also cools the temperature down a little – which some palates find more appealing.
- Adding the fat makes it a slightly more substantial drink, and also adds a creamier texture. When avocado’s are in season, they work sensationally as the added fat.
- Coconut is an excellent fat to eat in the morning, as the body assimilates it rapidly, providing instant energy. Coconut oil is also antiviral and antifungal – so a beneficial daily food to keep your immunity supported.
- Remember to take the pips out of the dates before you put them in the blender or else it could be the end of the blender!
- You will need a high powered blender such as the Vitamix brand so the green leaves are able to be chopped finely (Kombu stocks the BioChef blender, a good quality, more affordable version).
- It is beneficial and enjoyable to mix up the greens too; coriander leaves are delicious with kale, baby spinach and cos lettuce work well, mint too. If you have any dandelion leaves growing wild in your garden, these are exceptionally nutritious to throw in as well.
- If you ever run out of ripe room temperature bananas, yet you have a big supply of frozen bananas, you can just boil the kettle and use 100% frozen bananas with hot water (this is particularly important if it is a winters morning).
Why introduce green smoothies into my diet?